I'm Hasini, CEO and founder of Hasini Kay Hair - a haircare community fostered by people from all over the globe, with every hair type imaginable, and they've all joined me on my journey to recover from severe hair loss caused by alopecia.
When I was first diagnosed, my doctor said that alopecia sometimes never goes away and I could end up losing all of my hair (alopecia totalis). As a woman of colour, hair is incredibly important in our culture and a lot of our value is placed in our hair and it's a way to bond with our mothers and grandmothers every week when they massage oil onto our scalps.
Losing my hair felt like losing a part of me. Determined to not let it get me down, I spent years researching and perfecting recipes passed down through generations in my family, to create the Hasini Kay Growth Oil and Lengths Oil.
Types of hair loss + my experience:
After developing alopecia areata, I had scarring alopecia and then the stress of this combined with my masters degree gave me telogen effluvium (temporary hair loss due to trauma/stress). So, it's safe to say, I've had quite a bit of experience with hair loss!
For more info, here are some common types of hair loss:
- Alopecia Areata (autoimmune condition that causes round patches of hair loss)
- Androgenetic Alopecia (Genetic female / male pattern hair loss)
- Scarring Alopecia (Central Centrifugal Cicatricial Alopecia, Frontal Fibrosing Alopecia, Lichen Planopilaris, Discoid Lupus Erythematosus, Folliculitis Declavans and Dissecting Cellulities of the Scalp - the hair falls out and scar tissue forms, preventing hair growth)
- Traction Alopecia (hair loss caused by excessive pulling e.g. tight ponytails)
- Alopecia Totalis / Alopecia Universalis (total hair loss on the scalp / on the body)
- Telogen Effluvium (hair loss caused suddenly by a recent traumatic event/stress
- Anagen Effluvium (hair loss from medical treatments such as chemotherapy)
- Loose Anagen Syndrome (hair falls out as it is not firmly rooted in the follice)
- Trichotillomania (hair loss caused by pulling)
Always remember that you are not alone in your hair loss. We are here to support you